Thursday 15 August 2013

Making a Branch Out



I am a bit of a walking contradiction when it comes to makeup. I own quite a bit of it, but I don't wear a lot of it. My makeup regimen consists of: pressed powder foundation, eye shadow, mascara, lipstick and a little bit of a neutral blush (something I’ve only recently started wearing). Despite this, I have about three makeup bags full of makeup. For the most part, it's all eye shadow. I probably own close to thirty eye shadows compacts. Most of those are trios and quads. The reason? I love playing up my eyes. I have received many compliments on my eyes and the colour of them and the colours in one's eye shadow compact can change how light or dark one's eyes appear.

Now, I tend to stick to department store brands like CoverGirl and Revlon, simply because of the cost. One of my favourite eye shadow quads is from CoverGirl and is called Tropical Fusion. I just love how playful, yet subtle, the colours are.



But, thanks to a friend of mine, I'm slowly starting to branch out. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because it gives me more options and an idea of just what is out there. It's bad because, well, branching out of department store makeup brands is a touch expensive. That was made clear this morning upon venturing into Sephora.

My aunt pretty much swears by Clinique, and she often gets little freebies for spending above a certain dollar amount. I tend to reap those rewards in the way of Christmas presents and she usually gives me a small tube of Clinique's High Impact mascara. While my go-to mascara is CoverGirl's Natureluxe Mousse in Very Black (it is the lightest feeling mascara I have ever bought), I love the length and volume the Clinique one gives me. I walked into Sephora this morning in search of a large tube of mascara... I walked out with two lipsticks and one eyeliner in addition to the mascara. I decided to buy the waterproof version of the mascara because I have seasonal allergies that tend to result in my eyes watering and “mascara shadow” (as I call it) on your bottom lid just isn't a nice look. Especially when you work retail and you're in the public eye all day.

I blame the creator, and author of, "the creation of beauty is art", Shannon, who happens to be the friend I mentioned two paragraphs back. She also happens to be a friend I have had for nine years (it will be ten come May 16th, 2014). Her blog posts got the ball rolling for this morning's little shopping spree. We don't see each other as often as I'd like, but my life is richer with her in it regardless. She's passionate about quality writing and works incredibly hard to make it a part of her career. Shannon's blog posts are informative, personal and often result in some 30+ comments from her followers. I highly suggest you check her out. You can check her out by clicking this link: the creation of beauty is art



My purchases top to bottom: Clinique High Impact Waterproof Mascara, Clinique Quickliner for Eyes in Intense Black, Clinique Buttershine Lipstick in Adore U and Clinique Long Last Lipstick in Violet Berry.

I am in love with how narrow the tip of the eyeliner is simply because on the rare occasion I do wear eyeliner, I don’t want a lot of it. And never mind the fact that I do not have a very steady hand when it comes to applying eyeliner. Plus, the other end works to smudge the line, which is something I do on my bottom lid anyway. Both lipsticks apply smoothly and are nice light shades. Adore U is a nude and Violet Berry is a nice muted violet. I like them most because I like to layer my lip colour, and tend to layer most often with CoverGirl’s Natureluxe Gloss Balm in Hibiscus.

Was this shopping trip good for my pocketbook? That would be a huge no! Was it good for my makeup collection? Yes. And if my work situation improves in the next little while, these new products will be used quite often.

Wearing the eyeliner, mascara and lipstick in Adore U.
Eye shadow: Lavender Meadow by Revlon.



1 comment:

  1. First of all, you are too sweet! I am very glad to be your friend. And mwahahaha my habits are rubbing off on you. Welcome to the dark side! I really love the shades in that Cover Girl quad, but I am glad that you're branching out too! There's something really fun and about treating yourself to something a little luxurious. All of the products that you bought sound wonderful! The liner especially. (You know me - eyeliner junkie. This is a proud moment! :P)

    You look so beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete