Monday 28 October 2013

It's Only Words



One of the first things I did when I got my Blackberry Q10 in September, was download a couple of apps and a couple of games. I downloaded a Tim Horton's app, a TTC app, and a Cineplex Odeon app, as well as games of Chess, and Angry Birds. But, my favourite of the games I downloaded is called, Anagramy. As the name suggests, it's a word game. You have to find words in the seven letters you are given, including the word all seven letters make up. Oh, and the words can't be any shorter than three letters long. It's rare that I ever get all of the words in each game, and many times there are words that I would never have caught. Words like 'aphasia' and 'caducei'. 'Aphasia' is a fancy word for 'speech impediment' and a 'Caducei' is the medical staff that has those two snakes entwined around it.

Well, over the last month, my vocabulary has grown tremendously because of this little game I downloaded on a whim. I have a list of words that, prior to playing this free game, I'd never heard of. And, being a writer, words are important to me. Words are important to everyone; they are how we communicate in spoken and written formats.

The fact that this word game has given me words to broaden my vocabulary is awesome. Not only is it a great way to pass the time on a long subway ride or while waiting for the bus, it's a great learning tool. Who'd have thought?

Have you downloaded any apps or games that have been surprisingly helpful? What are your favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment