Friday 4 October 2013

The Changes We Seek



Change.

It's a word, a six letter word that invokes many different emotions. Fear, uncertainty, anxiety, happiness, excitement... Change can be fun and frightening. For some, change is unbearable and sends them running for the hills. For others, change is a thing they welcome with arms wide open. For me, it depends on what is changing and why.

When my family Christmas tradition changed in 2007 with my grandmother impending death, I was not happy. My mother didn't make her manicotti, there was no ham or cheese bread from my aunt, no tarts from my cousin. Instead of our usual potluck, we had dinner at The Mandarin in Oshawa. Now, don't get me wrong, The Mandarin is probably my favourite restaurant, but the thought of celebrating Christmas in a restaurant felt completely blasphemous. Especially when there was no Christmas Tree to put our gifts under and my role as the Elf couldn't be fulfilled. I like handing out the presents; it's something I've done for 20 years. And this changed Christmas tradition had been going on since the 50s. Now, it's a mix of old and new; we open our gifts under a tree, but have lunch at a restaurant, though we still miss making our respective dishes.

Despite my unwillingness to change that tradition, change is, and always will be, inevitable.

Though my Christmas tradition change was painful, the one I am about to embark on is more welcoming and exciting than scary. After two months of waiting, I am transferring from the store I’ve been working at for two years to another store within the company I work for. In a previous post, I mentioned that I worked for Addition Elle. As of the 6th, I will be working for our sister store, Smart Set. I received an opportunity to move up in the company, and I’d be insane not to take it. Addition Elle and Smart Set are both owned by Reitman’s, which also owns Pennington’s, RW & Co., Thyme Maternity and, of course, Reitman’s. I have been with the company for two years, and felt a change was necessary, so I decided to search for one. Upon being offered a position on the management team at Smart Set, I knew I had to jump at the chance. Plus, they are willing to train me for the position I’m transferring for. Knowing I am going to have help transitioning into my new position is making this change a lot easier and a lot more exciting. Plus, I have never walked out of one job and directly into another. I’ve always had several months of unemployment between jobs, which is mostly my fault. The fact that my last shift at Addition Elle was on Wednesday and my first shift at ­Smart Set will be on Sunday, is awesome.

This change is something I am looking forward to, and have been for two months. I couldn’t be happier.

Are there any exciting changes going on in your lives?

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for making positive change in your life. That is AMAZING that you are going to have a management position. You have certainly shown your loyalty to the company and I am glad that is being rewarded. I know you'll do great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your new job. Hope it works out for you.
    stop by our blog if you like we can follow each other on gfc and bloglovin. let us know
    kisses from Kenya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a very welcomed change and I hope it works out too. I checked out your blog, and it's lovely. I have added you to my follow list, and I look forward to reading more of your posts. And from what I've seen in the photos, you live in a beautiful country, a country that is on my list of places to visit some day.
      Thank you for your comment.
      The Writing on the Wall.

      Delete