Saturday 12 October 2013

To Be Thankful



This weekend, Canada celebrates Thanksgiving. The Canadian Thanksgiving coincides with the harvest and it’s the time of year we (should) think about the things we are thankful for. It is a time when we should count our blessings and thank whichever deity we worship for the things we have. It’s the time we thank the people in our lives for simply being in our lives and the roles they perform in it. But why should we wait for Thanksgiving to express our thanks? Thank yous are something we should be expressing all year round. So, in this post, I am going to thank the people (and things) I do and don’t come in contact with on a regular basis.

To the staff at Eggsmart: Thank you for serving my mom and me the very delicious food you offer as often as you do (and for remembering that I drink tea with every morning meal).

To the wait staff at the Swiss Chalets my mom and I frequent: Thank you for your service and delicious food.

To anyone who has ever held a door for me, let me go ahead of them anywhere, or let me cross the parking lot in front of them: Thank you for taking those seconds out of your busy lives.

To my new manager: Thank you for giving me the opportunity you have.

To the customers who come into my store: Thank you for allowing me to give you advice on your purchases, and thank you for the things you do purchase.

To all of the wildlife in my city: Thank you for making me smile and proud to share my city with you.

To all my friends, and anyone who has ever been my friend: Thank you for being a part of my life regardless of how fleeting that time may have been.

To my fellow NaNoWriMo participants and Tonano chat room buddies: Thank you all of for your support during the most stressful and exhilarating month a writer can endure, and the months that surround it.

To the TTC workers, the ticket operators and bus, subway, and streetcar operators: Thank you for taking me where I, and millions of others, where we need to go without expecting anything in return from your riders.

To my family: You didn’t choose me, but you’ve chosen to love me as I am without question.

To the soldiers fighting overseas: Thank you for putting yourselves in danger so that I can live in freedom here at home.

To my cousin, Corporal John Mitchell: Thank you for your service and for always being at the ready should your country need you.

And to anyone and everyone who has ever read this blog: Thank you! You keep me writing it.

Be sure to thank everyone in your life. They are there for a reason, whether it be the people who drive your transit buses and subways, or the people who surround you on a daily basis. They all deserve to be thanked. So please, give them a big thank you. They would all love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment